Wednesday, February 02, 2005

(dc) bobcat for jenni

the good news is that the building next to me is going to be a bank. the bad news is that it's not a bank yet. every morning at 7am construction begins. apparently this week is Phase Bobcat. this is great if you're jenni and you go nuts over bobcats. it's not so great if you're kelly and you wish you could sleep that extra half hour. jenni, this is for you, although i'm pretty sure you don't read my blog.



i charged my ipod up last night and listened to it on the walk&metro to work this morning. the aphex twin song i started at the Ust station almost lasted me until my l'enfent plaza stop. then i listened to a little bluegrass. nothing like bluegrass in the morning.

but i have to say that the whole ipod thing makes me uncomfortable. until this morning, i couldn't put my finger on why i so rarely use it, given my passion for music. then i realized as i was sitting on the metro that it makes me feel disconnected from my environment, like walking around with my eyes closed. i listen closely to the world, and when i've got music in my ears i feel i'm missing something. it reminds me of a this american life story lela recommend to me once about a guy who listened to all the sounds in a room as music, and could tell someone what key their room was in. i need to find that story and listen to it. if someone wants to search the archives for me, i think it was sometime in 2001 or 2002.

3 Comments:

Blogger claire said...

i'm a geek who works in a library. i like to think that i am an expert at tracking down things people mention off the cuff. so, i took the challenge to try to find the "this american life" story. however, i searched through the audio archives for 1999, 2000, 2001 and 2002. i couldn't find it at all. sorry.

re: the ipod, i know how you feel. sometimes i listen to it when i go grocery shopping. while it is fun to have your own personally created soundtrack playing all through your life, when you take out the earphones it is like waking up from a strange dream. i am on this kick to actually read all the classic books i've always meant to read. i just finished fahrenheit 451. (what am amazing story - and so alarmingly relevant to the bush state - intellectualism and rational thoughts are punishable offenses, entertainment is the only meaning to life - plug in and ignore the war that is destroying the world around you. it made me cry.) but the way his wife always had her seashells in her ears, listening to music, reminded me of the ipod. don't get me wrong, i love mine, but i use it with a little caution.

11/2/05 6:46 PM  
Blogger cherry blossom said...

yes, caution. it seems everyone's got them, but don't they rob pedestrianism from it's major advantage over automobobilism: interaction with the environment? i got email from one friend who told the story that he feels the same way about ipods and relies so much on hearing the environment that he will sometimes roll down his car window to hear the way the car is driving. he said it helps him drive better (and his wife thinks he's crazy). i don't think he's crazy. audio-oriented people unite!

14/2/05 6:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

7.19.02
http://www.thislife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?sched=933

31/5/07 1:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home