Sunday, October 17, 2004

(kingman) family fun with the solar system

my dad (carl) and i did the first bit of actual work on my solar system sonification project today. we spent a few hours looking up data (from my grandma's old dictionary (the old-fashioned way)), fiddling with the numbers, and listening to results manually. then carl wrote a little java program to play the pitches, and we continued the brainstorming to determine which astrophysical parameters might best map to which parameters of sound. it was a good way to spend the afternoon. better than the other alternatives, anyway. at some point i'll write up a little summary of the project and vision so i can link to it. maybe you will have brilliant ideas to contribute.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ah yes I had a conversation on the weekend that reminded me that you hadn't emailed me in a while. I was thinking about your sonification project, as I do for an hour each morning, when I was speaking to a guy who builds gold detectors. Apparently really good operators can tell the difference between a five cent piece and a nickel. Not sure if this helps but I thought I'd let you know I was thinking about your project.

27/10/04 1:12 AM  
Blogger cherry blossom said...

pray tell, kind aussie, who are you?

27/10/04 11:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home