Thursday, March 16, 2006

*(dc) nasa goddard culture non-photo-essay

i was downstairs in the printer/fax/coffee/microwave room (closet) minding my own business this morning when an older scientist-type man walked in. he looked at me like i was an alien (there are some of those around here) and said, "i've never seen you before in my *life*." i thought that was an unusual way to start a conversation. i said, good-naturedly, "i work upstairs." i kind of hoped that would be enough information and i could head back up to my office. instead, he pressed on, wanting to know which upstairs: the middle floor or the top floor? i didn't actually know the answer. i said, "one flight up." then he said, "where do you come from?" (again, as if expecting me to say "Enceladus - i left last august when a giant geyser destroyed my plantation. also, i was tired of the cold.") somehow the conversation lurched around and finally found its way to airplanes (via JSC -> astronauts he knows -> similar fast airplanes they own -> his surprise that i knew he was talking about airplanes -> his continued surprise that i'm a pilot). another younger scientist walked in and he said, "hey joe, i found another pilot." the conversation ended with an invitation to ride in his fast plane (or at least to join the 'waiting list'). since i don't have a picture, this little vignette will have to serve as the goddard culture photoessay entry for today.

1 Comments:

Blogger rebecca said...

sounds to me like you never determined beyond a shadow of a doubt that he was not an alien. if I were you I might be wary of flying in his super fast "airplane". of course, I'm not you.

16/3/06 12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home