Saturday, May 07, 2005

(dc) mother's day for the wretched

all the women in my family are mothers except for me, unless you count my oldest neice, who is 12. or almost 12. i guess technically, she could be a mother, but i'm glad she's not.

i'm not sure i will ever be a mother. i'm not sure if i want to be. i am sure that i want to feel like i have the choice to be, but i'm working hard to detach myself even from the desire for choice in the matter. unfulfilled necessary prerequisites (a husband, primarily) preclude choice.

tomorrow will be a day when i honor my mother, my grandmother, and my two sisters, and their roles as mothers. they all have taught me what it means to be a great mother, through their sacrifices, their choices, and their love.

mother's day, like valentine's day, though, can be tough.

this isn't meant to be woe-is-me whining. but i guess it is. sorry about that.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My dearest Kelly, we all can't contribute to life in the same way, and you have such unique and wonderful talents and gifts to humanity that the other women in our family can't hope to match. We love you just the way you are, and if you become a mother, we'll love you in that way too.

9/5/05 1:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Kel
Your honesty is touching -- in words, live-choices and all. I hope you had a good day and that some day you too can be celebrated on those days. --Lenn

16/5/05 12:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It''s quite impressive.

24/12/05 12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home